Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.

What do I do when my chihuahua goes into labor Its ...

Customer Question

What do I do when my chihuahua goes into labor? It's her first litter.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Rebekah Haferbecker replied 10 years ago.

Chihuahuas due mostly to their size often have birthing complications that if not dealed with correctly can lead to death of the pup and/or the mom. You need to know how to take care of your dog and know how to tell she is ready for labor so you can be with her. You also need to know what to expect during labor so if something goes wrong you can call the vet. Sometimes the situation is too serious to waste precious time to call and wait for the vet so it would be a good idea to know what to do in certain situations. Answers to all these and more on whelping/stages of whelping you can find on