Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

pit bull: her back leg and back ever since I came home..signs..hip

Customer Question

My pit bull LuLu has had problems with her back leg and back ever since I came home after work one day. She's not in pain but she is very favorable. She is only 5 1/2 months and some people are telling me she might have really early signs of hip dysplasia(i think I spelled it wrong). She seems better because she used to hold her leg all the way up but now she is walking and slow jogging with a limp. It has been a couple weeks. Should I be really concerned and take her to a vet?

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: American Pit Bull Terrier

Already Tried:
Lot's of rest till she could put pressure on the leg then taking her for walks and a little jogging to see if that would help reallign anything out of sort. Now I don't know what to do because I have little funds to be dishing out on x-rays and anything else they might say she has to have.

Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

You first need to determine the cause of the pain. The most common injury in some dogs is probably a torn cranial cruciate. This is comparable to the ACL ligament in people. If this is the case, there are surgeries that can repair it and the vet will offer steroids and anti-inflammatories to help with pain.

Another cause might be a luxating patella. In layman's terms this means wiggly kneecaps. If a dog has this condition, the knee will slip into and out of place. The dog might straighten the leg to flex it back in place.

You should also look closely around the foot and between the toes to look for foreign objects. Ingrown toenails if they have grown too long can be pretty painful.

I hope this helps!

If this does not resolve soon, you should see your vet for a diagnosis and to discuss your treatment options. Unfortunately, you can't tell from the outside what the source of the pain may be.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.