Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years small animal veterinarian
433937

how do i know if my german shepherd is pregnet she was ...

Customer Question

how do i know if my german shepherd is pregnet, she was acting funny when coming into heat and now she isn't. are there signs that i can look for in her when she is pregnet? i know i could wait to see if she gets bigger but i would like to know a little sooner. this would be her first litter and mine too.

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: german shepherd

Already Tried:
nothing and she is 11 monthes old

Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 8 years ago.
Did she breed with another dog when she was in heat?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vicky Lamb's Post: i don't know if he went all the way or not. i have her and him and i they live with me. could they have done it in the night? she is acting like she always has before this week and he is too. he isn't always beside her and she is acting normal. what should i look for in behavior for pregnat?
Even if he didn't tie with her, it is still possible for her to get pregnant, even though she is way too young for this. They may have also bred when you weren't watching.

A female doesn't usually look much different until after she greater than one month along, and doesn't act much different either. Physically she will start to fill out in the abdomen, and her nipples and glands will gradually enlarge. Near then end of pregnancy she will start nesting--picking a spot where she wants to have her pups and bringing blankets, toys, etc into that area, and she will spend more time there.

If you want to see if she is pregnant, you can do one of the following after she is about 3-4 weeks along: . 1- A vet can feel (palpate) her abdomen and see if they can feel enlargement in the uterus. 2- An ultrasound can be done to pick up the fetal sacs in the uterus. 3- A blood test for the hormone Relaxin can be done at 4 weeks. That is the earliest you will know *for sure* that she is pregnant.