Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.
437368

my rabbit ran away, will it come back

Customer Question

I have 2 rabbits, and they both have been in doors, I had put them outside so I could clean the room they are in, but 1 got away, my daughter is sad and hurt, is a Rabbit smart enough to come back to it's home.

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: Rabbit

Already Tried:
Nothing, it's dark and the ground is snow/wet

Category: Pet
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 11 years ago.
Probably not. Rabbits do not have homing instincts like dogs and cats. However, since he has always been kept indoors and has has been fed by you he may very close by. Check bushes an small anclosed areas like under cars and behind things.Since he has no way to obtain his own food he may just wander back so don't give up hope.
Rabbits are excellent at burrowing so check the snow for footprints and dug up areas.