Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

my yorkie has been making hacking noises really loud for ...

my yorkie has been making hacking noises really loud for about 3 days, but he eats ok, what could be wrong

Optional Information:
Age: 2; Male; Breed: yorkie

Already Tried:
asprin

Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Do his sides heave in and out when this is going on? Does he honk?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: his sides dosent heave out very much, he just stops walking and honks like he might have a fur ball or something, he normally does this about once every 2 or three hours
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so what do you think, will i get an answer tonight or is it like tommorow
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like you might be describing a reverse sneeze.

Reverse sneezes have the same cause as a regular sneeze but are much more dramatic!

You should look around the home for allergens and eliminate them if you can. Carpet powders, cleaners and pollen are pretty mean culprits.

I found an informative article that might explain it for you better than I can.

Paroxysmal Respiration or "The Reverse Sneeze"

I have found evidence that the massage technique mentioned above works well as does forcing the dog to swallow.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how long will it go on, or do i need to take him to the vet. or when will i know its not the problem, thanks and i wont bother you again, you have really eased my mind, i was very worried, thank you so very much
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.

You're welcome!

Some dogs will do this for a lifetime and others will have it flare up at odd times. To help it, you can try adding some moisture to the air and do all the things you would normally do if it was a regular sneeze that went on again and again.

Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you!

If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert