Joni
Joni, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  20+ years at vet clinic-all aspects of care for all small pets, cats, dogs and wildlife rehab
263661

how long does the parvovirus take to run its course

Customer Question

how long does the parvovirus take to run its course after getting the antibiotic and parvovirus vaccination?

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Male; Breed: pir bull

Already Tried:
took him to the vet and got his vaccinations and antibiotic and im currently pumping him full of pedialyte and ensure. he is really dehydrated, but is slowly getting back to hydrated.

Category: Pet
Expert:  Joni replied 9 years ago.
Has your puppy been diagnosed with parvo? Did they vaccinate him after diagnosing him with it? How old is he? How sick is he? Is he at the vets now?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: yes he tested positive on tuesday for parvo. yes they gave him his first set of shots along with a antiflammatory shot for his upset stomach, and the parvo vaccination. he is 5 weeks old. he is really sick he won't move around or drink by himself so i syringe pedialyte and ensure to him like the vet said.
Expert:  Joni replied 9 years ago.
They didn't feel they should keep him on IV fluids with IV antibiotics? If you are wanting to treat him at home the main thing to remember is he needs to have more fluids going in that what he is putting out (vomiting and diarrhea). Pedialyte is good, broth (with no salt), etc. He can even lick ice cubes. Give him small amount with the syringe but often. As far as the length of time it can vary. It really depends on the pups immune system. If it is strong he may recover in a week or two, if it is not you may lose him no matter how hard you try. What breed is he? You can gt some Prescription Diet A/D in a can that you can syringe to him in small quantities as well as some Nutrical in a tube to help nourish him. Good luck.
Joni, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 20+ years at vet clinic-all aspects of care for all small pets, cats, dogs and wildlife rehab
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: should i feed him the ensure or should i get something different
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
should i feed him the ensure or change it
Expert:  Joni replied 9 years ago.
If your vet recommended it it is probably fine. I hesitated to comment on it because I am not sure if it has actual milk in it that may cause more diarrhea. I am replying to this as a request for info. so maybe another expert will answer this who is more knowledgeable with the Ensure issue than I am.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 9 years ago.
I would not advise ensure as Joni said it will worsen the diarrhea with the milk in the product. Once the diarrhea has passed you can follow the veterinarian's instructions but until then I would use strictly pedialyte only until the diarrhea has passed.