NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

one of my parakeets is scratching and rubbing his head on ...

Customer Question

one of my parakeets is scratching and rubbing his head on perches and toys constantly. he is approx. 4 mos. old.this just started a day or so ago. the other is scratching, but not as much. there are tons of little feathers everywhere, but they both look fine, except the one scratching alot is relentless with the rubbing and scratching. they are very active, ocasionally fussing with each other. is this molting behavior or possibly mites?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This could be from mites, might be from itching due to moulting, could be a nutritional problem too.
You can read about mites here
Your best bet to find out which the problem is would be a vet visit. As they are both the same age and being kept in the same location you can't rule out any of the problems without a vet check.
Hope this helps you!