Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Cant Stand Up all of a sudden

Customer Question

My 4yr old Golden Retriver was in my fenced but easily accessable to the public back yard, Sat. Night, and the next day when I got up, he could not pick himself up to stand or walk. He has been blood tested, xrayed, and medicated at the Vet., since Monday morning, and still can not stand or lift his weight. They say his legs are ok, and normally a pretty active dog. He was fixed this spring. They think it neurogical now, probably put to sleep. Do you think he was poisoned? or Heat Stroke? (It was hot, but he had shade and water in the yard), or possibly ate something? Please answer soon, if you can help. I love my dog (Tiger) and so do my children, but they think tommorrow is his last day.
My sincere thanks,
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If the problem is heat stroke, you will also see greying around the mouth and tongue area. If you don't catch it soon enough, you can have permanent neurological damage.

The most common cause of these symptoms in animals is vestibular disease. It's a disease of the inner ear and it will cause staggering, falling over, one sided paralysis and the dogmight hold his head at an odd angle.

I suggest that you go to the vet immediately so that they can culture the ear and rule this out. If it is vestibular disease, your dog can be treated with strong, long term antibiotics.

Keep in mind that the effects of vestibular disease can clear up somewhat on their own and you can see some relief from the symptoms at times even without antibiotics. This does not mean that the disease has cleared up, it only means that the symptoms are not as prevalent.

If this progresses, there is a good chance that she will not recover from the symptoms even if you treat them so time is of the essence.

Let me know if you still have questions.