Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Near drowning experience for

My 5 lb Yorkie fell into my pool ..he had a near drowning experience I brought him back with CPR and little puffs of air...he came to and i brought him into emergency ..he had PDA a very serious heart murmer...after 12 hrs in an oxygen cage his heart stopped and he had to be resucitated..he developed edema and his condition became grave..he was put on pure oxygen ...the vet suggested a ventilator but was not sure he would survive..the cost for his care was sixteen hundred dollars for 12 hrs.care..I was told it could run as much as 8 or 9 thousand dollars ...I had to make a decision to go on or put my precious little pet to sleep because I could not afford to pay this amount of money...I do not know if he would have been helped ..the vet did not hold too much hope...I feel so guilty that he was not given every chance to survive. If you had to guess ..what do you think his chances of survival would be? His vet always called him a miracle dog and did not believe he lived for 5 yrs.The vet believed it was the chlorine in the pool that caused him to accumulate water in his lungs.... Thank you Elizabeth

The only thing that I can tell you is that you did the best that you could do for your dog and that is all that you can do.

There is a good chance that the dog would not recover, even with supportive therapy. I think that the chance of him surviving would have been very low and that it may have been a waste of your money.

I am very sorry for what you are going through. Now is the time to think about the good times that you had with him, not the way that he died.

If you are not familiar with the rainbow bridge (a special place that pets go when they die) just let me know and I'll share the story with you.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Why is the cost of veterary care so costly forcing pet owners to make the choice to put an animal to sleep because the owners cannot pay the outrageous cost of hospital care . Is this what the vets consider humane? Yes I am angry,it cost me 9 thousand dollars 2 years ago for 4 days of hospital care and then she passed away anyway..this time it cost # XXXXX for 12 hours and more to put my pet to sleep.Please answer Elizabeth

These after hours vets provide a service. They have to be open at night and they have to have specialized equipment to test for problems. They DO incur a lot more expenses than a regular vet.

It's like apples and oranges. If apples are in short supply, vendors can charge more for apples.

Make sense?