Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

dog: little protective flap..Her eye is pink and blood shot.

Customer Question

My dog's eye is draining and is begining to droop. The little protective flap of the eye that is usually not visable is always visable. Her eye is pink and blood shot. What could be causing this? I have a vet appointmet this Thursday, is this an emergency?
Category: Pet
Expert:  K McMillion replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like your dog got something in it's eye - has this dog been outside unattended?

Here is a site that has information about other causes

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/ce.html
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Until you can see the vet, you should flush the eye with saline and then dry it well with a clean, dry cloth.

You might be seeing the third eyelid. It only presents itself when there has been a trauma to the eye or the dog has an eye infection.

If the saline doesn't help, you will want to see your vet for a diagnosis and to discuss your treatment options.

If there is an infection present, your vet will probably want to get the dog started on antibiotics.

While it's not an emergency, you don't want to let it go too long, either. Can you move your appointment up?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your help. My vet is out of town until Thursday so I am unable to move the appointment up. Her third eyelid is not inflamed or puffy. The eyeball itself is becoming a little more puffy than usual. No major swelling. I have flushed her eye twice with soothing eye solution for cats and dogs and there is no change. The whites of her eyes are pretty blood shot and the pupil or colored part of her eye is pointing down while the other is normal. Her activity is pretty normal so I am not sure if she is in pain. It doesn't look very good to me. Is there anything else I should try to hold us off until Thursday?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

That's pretty much all that you can do at home. I would try to keep her calm to prevent damage to the eye and see the vet as soon as you can.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kenneth McMillion's Post: Thank you for your help and the link to the website. At first I thought she must have gotten something in her eye. I flushed it twice with soothing eye solution for dogs and there is no change. The third eyelid is not swollen, but the whites of her eye is begining to look puffy. The pupil or colored part of her eye is pointing down while the other eye is normal. It doesn't look good. Her activity is pretty normal so I am not sure she is in pain. Do have any idea what could be causing this? Do you know of anything else I can do for her until I can get to the vet?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Are you sure that she's not having an allergic reaction that it causing the swelling and droopiness? A bug bite, maybe?

If you suspect this, you can try a dose of benadryl. My vet recommends 1 mg per lb of body weight given every 8-12 hours as needed.

I hope this helps more!