Angel
Angel, Own/Op Natural Dog Care & Behavior
Experience:  25 yrs training exp. Large Breed Behavior Spec. Nutritional support for liver/special needs dogs
205633

I adopted a female rottwieler who had two neck surgerys..doing really

Customer Question

I adopted a female Rottwieler who had two neck surgerys and rottarycup surgery on her right shoulder. She was doing really well then became neourological with mobility. We had an MRI done and she has fliud in the spinal cord. I want to know what the difference between Syringomyelia and hyromyelia is and where does the fluid come from? What about treatment??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
This is a very involved condition, but I did find some information for you to review. I'm sure this website will answer you questions, if not, please post again.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:sJaZyCBTw08J:www.veterinaria.uchile.cl/publicacion/congresoxi/prafesional/am/4.doc+ canine+Syringomyelia+and+hydromyelia+&hl=en

Here is an excerpt from this site:
"Syringomyelia and hydromyelia are cystic abnormalities of the spinal cord. Syringomyelia refers to abnormal cavities filled with liquid in the substance of the spinal cord. A syrinx refers to one of these cavities. Hydromyelia refers to a pathologic condition characterized by accumulation of fluid within an enlarged central canal of the spinal cord. In both of these instances, the fluid that accumulates is similar, if not identical, to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Some authors refer to hydromyelia as a communicating syringomyelia and use the term syringomyelia to describe all intraspinal abnormal fluid accumulations.

Clinically and diagnostically it is often difficult to differentiate between syringomyelia and hydromyelia. Therefore, the term syringo-/hydromyelia is used. Ultimately, the diagnosis is made at a histologic level with the fluid cavity in hydromyelia lined by ependymal cells characteristic of the central canal. A syringomyelic cavity, on the other hand, is usually within the spinal cord external to the central canal and is lined by glial cells.

The pathologic mechanisms that result in syringomyelia and hydromyelia are many and varied and no single pathologic mechanism adequately explains all instances of the diseases. Possible pathogenic mechanisms of cyst formation include changes in CSF pressure relationships within the spinal cord (as occurs with hydrocephalus or foramen magnum abnormalities), loss of spinal parenchyma, stenosis of the central canal, and obstruction to CSF flow via inflammation or tumor. Each of these mechanisms are possible in dogs and cats but have yet to be definitively proven. "

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Angel's Post: I have spent about sixteen thousand on Livvee with all the surgerys and medicines. Is there a protocal that will help her. Treatment wish? She has be on dex. But we have backed off becuase of side effects. We are not well off and she has hit our pocket books hard but we love her and want to help her!!!
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
I cannot offer treatment recommendations. I am not a neurologist (I doubt there is one on this board) yet I wanted to provide you with information that would help you understand her condition.