Dr Andrea
Dr Andrea, Veterinarian
Experience:  18+yrs veterinary experience with cats, dogs, horses, livestock, owner of holistic wellness clinic
197945

kitten: brought home..yellowish puss around his eyes..it affect humans

Customer Question

I just brought home a new kitten today.I took noticed he has yellowish puss around his eyes.the person whom I received the kitten told me he may think some cats have the cat flu, would it affect humans if my kitten has this flu?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Andrea replied 11 years ago.
Feline viruses can not infect humans. Kitty has conjuctivitis. This may be the primary problem or she may have a systemic virus. You need to look out for sneezing, nasal discharge, diarrhea and vomiting. If you can take her temp it should be around 101.5. If she has a fever or any of the other signs I mentioned, she should see your vet for treatment. In the meantime you can help your kitty by washing out the eye goop with sterile eye wash and offering her some nice canned kitten food to get her eating. Also provide fresh water, not milk.
Dr Andrea, Veterinarian
Experience: 18+yrs veterinary experience with cats, dogs, horses, livestock, owner of holistic wellness clinic
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Andrea J Cecur DVM's Post: We have been washing her eyes out with sterile eye wash and she has no problem eating.Normally her temps range from 99 to 100.I am not good with kittens as I was used to older cats all my life,but what age would it be appropriate to get her spayed? I was told the age when they are 4 months old.Do you recommend declawing for a indoor cat? I see what they do to cats and my husband agrees to get her declawed.I am one who is against declawing.
Expert:  Mandy replied 11 years ago.
The best time to spay your pet is before the animal reaches puberty. Many experts feel that six months of age is an ideal time to spay. Some vets will recommend spaying the cat as early as 4 months of age, before caterwauling (wails and cries by a female cat in heat) develops.

Declawing is a controversial procedure. Some people feel it is inhumane. Many veterinarians will always counsel the pet owners in alternatives to declaw surgery, while other veterinarians simply won't do the surgery except in cases of medical necessity.

The standard declawing procedure calls for the removal of the claw including the germinal (epithelium) cells responsible for its growth, and part or all of the third phalanx (terminal bone) of the toe. The operation is usually performed on the front feet, and is actually an amputation comparable to the removal of human fingertips at the first knuckle. The cat experiences pain in the recovery and healing process.

Declawing can be done at any age, but younger cats tend to bounce back more quickly than older ones. It is never recommended to take out a cat's back claws. Cats rarely damage anything with their rear claws and their rear claws are their only defence after the front ones are removed.

The procedure is not without risk. The tourniquet, used to reduce blood loss during the surgical procedure, can damage the radial nerve and result in paralysis of the leg. This paralysis is usually temporary but can be permanent. If the incisions come open and expose the remaining bones of the digits, infection can occur and the wounds must be left open to heal, which can take longer than if sutures were holding the wound closed.

:::There is a simple alternative available for you and your cat:::

Introduce a scratching post. You can make one yourself or it can be purchased. Your cat's scratching post should be tall enough so your cat can stretch completely when scratching, and stable enough so it won't wobble when being used. It should be covered with a strong, heavy, rough fiber like the back side of carpeting and lined with catnip.

Make the post a fun place to be by placing toys on or around it, or by rubbing it with catnip, and put it in an accessible area. If you're trying to discourage your cat from scratching a particular piece of furniture, try placing the post in front of it, gradually moving the post aside as your cat begins to use it regularly.

A quick squirt from a water bottle will let your cat know when it has made a wrong choice between your furniture and the scratching post. Training your cat to use its post helps increase the bond between the cat and owner by increasing communication.

Clipping the nails every week or two keeps nails short and less able to do damage. If possible, get your kitten used to having its feet handled and nails clipped while young. Let your veterinarian show you how to trim your cat's nails. With the owner's patience and training, most cats will allow nail trimming.

::: I hope this helps :::