NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Eye Problem in Bassett Hound

Customer Question

I have a Bassett Hound that her Rt. eye suddenly became inflammed and the "third" membrane was present. The Vet. gave her eye drops and after about 8 days she still has the problem. He gave her a different antibiotic.Both had Dextramethosone. I used those drops on her for about 10 days. The redness had improved but that membrane has not gone away, infact it may have gotten worse. BotXXXXX XXXXXd is drooping and membrane covers at least 50% of her eye. When I spoke with the Vet. he said he didnt know what method of treatment to pursue and would let me know. I havent heard from him in a week and I need an answer. I sent this question on the 13th of July and I have not heard from anyone. What do I need to do? Do I have to pay money first? Let me know something please. I am not on the computer a lot but will try to check every day and get back to you if answered to let you know I got your reply. Thank You for your prompt reply. Shirley Chamberlain
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As your vet is not helping you I suggest you see a veterinary opthamologist who specializes in eye problems.
http://www.asvo.org/ (click on membership) may help you find one
I did not see one listed in Mississippi so you may have to travel out of state to find one.
You may want to read about cherry eye here
http://www.animaleyecare.com.au/owners/ec-cherry-eye.htm
this can develop after an eye injury.
If your vet did not do an eye stain to check for injury the problem might be an infection rather than a corneal ulcer. Usually infections are treated differently than injuries are. Steroids might actually make an infection worse not better.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I have read the response. The Vet.did stain the dogs eye on first visit and did not see a corneal abrasion. I thought by the look of the eye that she had been injured, perhaps stung by a wasp or bee. The yard care people had blown dirt and debris in her face with a leaf blower the day before the inflammation occured. Maybe this info will be helpful in further search.
I am not sure what posting, time remaining, how to see other peoples question etc. means so that I can utilize your site to the max. I will get back to NHolmes later. If posting the question will allow other people that may have dealt with this problem to respond, please do so. However I am not sure where to look to get their opinion as most things are closed or expired or something. Do I have to pay each time to see other questions and answers? Thank You, Shirley
Is there an ophthalmologist vet. in Louisiana? I am on the border.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
It also sounds like it may be Horner's syndrome with the prolapsed 3rd eyelid and eye droop. Is the pupil of the affected eye a bit smaller than the other? Does the eye look like it is sunken in a little more than the other?Then that could be the issue
Read about it here
http://www.thepetprofessor.com/cat-info/horners-syndrome.html
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: The Vet. saw my dog on 07-27-05 and we discussed both possabilities you recommended and he does not think she has either one, at least not the typical symptoms of Cherry Eye or Horner's Syndrome. He is doing some research and will consult an Ophthalmologist. Hopefully we will have some answers and treatment soon.
If any one else has had the same type problem with their dog and got the problem resolved, please respond. Thank You
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I would wonder about a foreign body under the third eyelid then - maybe a flush would get it out.
The breed has a known propensity for glaucoma
which you can find links to here
http://www.buckbasset.com/Bassethealth.htm
and they suggest specific testing for checking for the early stages of this by Gonioscopy (examination of the iridocorneal angle of the eye for abnormalities)
I hope the opthamologist can help! Nothing beats an in person exam on issues like this!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy, Thank You for giving me web addresses.
The situation is still unresolved but the last reply about the foreign body makes sense to me because of the leaf blower being directed at her face that contained a lot of debrit the day before this all started. I mentioned that I wanted to irrigate her eye to the Vet.the first day he saw herbut I did not have any ophth. solution on hand when he came to see her. I got sensitive saline for contacts and irrigated her this morning. Thanks again and if anything else comes to mind, I would welcome the info. I think F.B.if any, may still be under the eye lid.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If its migrated around the orbit it may take consistent irrigation to help it get out. Won't hurt her to do it anyhow and it may make the eye feel better just to have the saline swishing through it lubricating any irritations.
And you are quite welcome of course!