NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

puppies: mom has milk fever, so litter is been bottle fed

help.. have a litter of 2 week puppies.. mom has milk fever, so litter is been bottle fed. all seem to be well. but one male seem to have a rattle in his lung. today he is listless. what is wrong? what can i do for him?
That puppy may have aspirated formula. You really should get him to a vet for medication.
Often not all pups live to grow up. Some are born with heart defects etc but with bottle feeding its really easy to over feed and then the milk gets regurgitated into the lungs causing aspiration pneumonia.
So I'd suggest vet help as soon as you can get it.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: well sick baby is doing a little better today. we did call a vet and he said that the puppy was too young for any type of med. we are giving him some pedilight for babies mixed in with his milk. and feeding him little at time. thought about taking him away from the litter but did not. the other pups lay on top of him all of the time. he was moving around a more this afternoon. will this be a problem for him in later life? thank you. GOD bless
If he recovers he should be fine. Baby pups are amazingly able to bounce back from early trauma as long as they get good care.
The bottom of the 'pig pile' of pups is actually the best spot as its the warmest one so the pup is doing better than you think if it manages to be the one who gets to sleep there.
Go slow on the formula and do small amounts frequently.
I actually prefer using goats milk (canned if I can't get fresh) to hand raise pups. Whatever you use try adding a daily dose of liquid puppy vitamins (I've used Theralin brand) to help ensure all the needed nutrition is there every day for the pup.
Good luck with him! if love and care will work I know that he's getting plenty!