NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

kitty: small lump..suture..really eaten much and hasn’t drank

My kitty had surgery to remove a small lump within his skin Thursday
morning. The surgery left him with a 1 ¼ inch suture. Since I’ve
brought him home he has not really eaten much and hasn’t drank. When he
has eaten his moist food he eats it with gusto for the first several
bites, but then walks away from it and doesn’t finish. And with water,
he approaches his water bowl, but doesn’t drink. It’s like he really
wants to drink, but for some reason he doesn’t. So, I’ve given him
water via a syringe several times. What could be going on with my
kitty?

During the surgery he received an injection of Turbugesic. And the vet
gave me Metacam to administer orally. The vet’s instructions said to
give 1 drop once a day. Well, this morning it was so hard to draw up
one drop into the syringe, so I think I gave my kitty at least 2 drops
of Metacam. Could this “overdose” cause his lack of interest in food
and water? I’ve been reading where Metacam should be used very
cautiously with cats. Too much could cause kidney or liver toxicity.
Also, my kitty, who’s 16 years old, has reduced kidney function. Would
this Metacam damage further my kitty’s weak kidneys?

Thank you.

Metacam can cause GI upset and can impact liver and kidney function. The most common
side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, and anorexia. More serious side effects such as bleeding, although uncommon, can result. I think the biggest hazard is long term overdose.
I would consider discontinuing use of it though.
Also if your cat is not eating - I find they sometimes have a sore throat after the anesthesia tube is removed - try some chicken baby food as a soft enticer to get him to eat something oe mix a little extra water with his canned food. See if he will drink some chicken soup/broth made from cooking chicken.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post:
Thank you for your answer... My kitty did drink by himself
earlier this morning. And he is eating a bit better. I
haven't given him his next dose of Metacam because I'm scared of the
possible side effects.... Would liquid Turbogesic be a good pain
alternative?

I've only ever used that in dogs and when I looked on the net all I can really find is a dog dosage.
So many things cats cannot use the same as dogs can I would not give it to him.
If you feel he is in pain try giving him the one single drop of metacam.
If you cannot do it with the eye dropper in his mouth then put one drop on something he really loves to eat and see if he will take it that way.
The drug is supposed to wear out of the system in about 24 hours so you should be safe giving him the correct dose.
If however he seems to be coping with pain OK I'd just let him be and let him rest and heal.
While I'd hate to see you overly stress him with pain I'd also hate to see you make him sick by accident.