Angel
Angel, Own/Op Natural Dog Care & Behavior
Experience:  25 yrs training exp. Large Breed Behavior Spec. Nutritional support for liver/special needs dogs
205633

what otc product can be used for a 9yr male doberman with arthritis

Customer Question

My vet had me giving Orudis KT BID for arthritis in my doberman's hips and knees. It kept him very comfortable but is no longer for sale in the US. Is there something else you can recommend. My Dobie has a very sensitive stomach.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
Yes... liquid glucosamine chondrotin by SOURCE NATURALS
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The best and most cost effective medication is rimadyl. It is not an over the counter medication but can be purchased at your vet's office. It's not very expensive and has a lesser chance of producing stomach ulcers and liver damage with prolonged use. It can only be purchased by prescription. If you have concerns about the fact that it may cause liver or kidney damage, I would suggest that you have your vet pull a full blood panel to check for pre-existing problems before you use it.

In a pinch, you can use aspirin, provided that your pet does not have other medical issues.

You can read about dosages and usage suggestions here:

Asprin usage in dogs

You also might want to talk with the vet about using glucosamine or Cosequin DS.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
Rimadyl is not an over the counter solution and has been known to damage to various organs such as the liver and kidneys in some dogs.

There is no need to take a chance, liquid glucosamine is a safe product for dogs. I personally use it for MY arthritis, and the liquid form is easily absorbed by the body.

It has a pleasant sweet taste and I add it to my dogs food without any distaste on their part.

There are other supplements that also eleviate arthritis pain.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Angel's Post: What is the name of the liquid glucosamine and where should I look for it. Thanks
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I have edited my post a little to be sure that you have enough information to make your decision. Be sure to read back over it and let me know if you still have questions about anything.

I would do a little research about glucosamine before you decide to go this route. here is an informative article about the use of this medication:

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/arthritis-pets/glucosamine-dogs.html

Your vet can supply the glucosamine if they feel like this is the best course of action. Be wary of brands that have not been tested by the FDA.

I hope that this helps more. Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
SOURCE NATURALS is the 'brand name' and the product name isXXXXX

I purchase mine from www.iherb.com   Although I am sure you can find SOURCE NATURAL products in vitamin stores or other places online.

I wish you and your dog good health!!