NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

dog: poop..thrown..had ate the day before along with all the liquid

Customer Question

On July 4th we noticed that our dog "AL" was trying to go poop, but nothing would come out. We thought maybe he was just a little backed up and thought if he wasn't better the next morning we would take him to our vet. At 4:30 a.m. on July 5th he had thrown up what he had ate the day before along with all the liquid in his, system while I was cleaning everything up, I let him go outside, I then noticed he was missing, I found him under a bunch of wood. I pulled him out and called the vet at 6:00 a.m. they said to bring him in when they open at 7:30 a.m., meanwhile he kept trying to go and nothing, then he tried to vomit, and let out a scream and bile came out, I then raced him to the vet. By now he can't walk and was going down fast! The vet weighted him, he weighed 31.9lbs which is normal for him, he took his temp, it was fine 102.5, took an x-ray. The x-ray showed a mass around his pelvis area, so we thought that was the problem. The gave him several enima's. At 11:30 he called asked if they could put him in IV fluids, because he did not think Al was going to make it. We said Yes of course and went up to the vet to try to cheer Al up. By then he had perked up a little. Later that day they took another x-ray and found the mass was gone. They also gave him some Barium to look for any blockages. It appeared everything was going thru. On Thursday he finally tried to eat, they took him off the IV's, but he continued to vomit and try to go with nothing comming out. On Friday July 8th, they did another x-ray, with barium, it looked like he had something blocking his stomach. So they performed surgery to remove it, but when they went in there wasn't anything in there, But his valve going from the stomach to the lower instine was closed, they said it was Pyloric Stenosis, commonly found in young infants and puppies. So they opened the valve with their fingers. We thought we had found the problem and also thought in a few days he would be feeling better and eating. I went to visit Al the next day Sat morning. The vet took another x-ray with barium and said I think Al will be fine there is no blockage and the barium is going all the way thru and out, but you will have to be very patient with him. On Monday Al still was not interested in eating, he as very thirsty. Every time he would just drink a little bit of water he would vomit, so we put him back on IV fluids and tried some Kaopectate, they had been giving this to him already, but this time we gave it to him in a smaller dose. They had also had him on Reglan to help prevent vomiting and a antibotic choc somthing
(this was given to him orally) They stopped antibotic because they thought it was bothering him stomach. Also on Monday they switched him to centrine instead of Reglan. During the day on Monday they took a blood sample. They got the results back on Tueaday a.m. It showed his white blood cells elevated, the enzymes in his liver and gall bladder elevated possible a little inflammed. So they thought maybe he has alot of bad toxins in his system and we just need to flush them out. So we ran IV fluids all day on Tuesday, gave him shots of reglan, and the antibotic nuflor. Tuesday night he chewed thru his IV. On Wednesday July 13, he had not vomited since alittle Tuedsay July 12 a.m., so on Wednesday July 13 in the afternoon we got him to eat about a tablespoon of some bland can food mixed with a couple drops of water. We were all very happy, he kept it down and went this morning, it was very thick like mustard but light in color. When we first brought Al in to the vet, would have some little streams of diarreha that we light brown in color mixed with a little blood. Al was very thirsty again this morning so we let him as just a little water, they gave him so kaopectate, within in 2 minutes he vomited. They gave Al some more kaopectate around 10:a.m. and he vomited it up. I'm very concerned about Al, he is only 6 years old, he was stray and just showed up approximtately 6years ago, we had him fixed and the same vet thougth at that time he was just old enough to be neutered. On Monday we weighed him he has lost 5lbs now weighs 26.5 lbs. Tonight they have him on IV fluids, pencillian, reglan and another antibotic starts with a B, I think is coincides with the penicillian, they also gave Al a steriod shot the abbreviated name was Dex somthing, sorry I not much help with the techical terms. They said maybe I could take him to a specialist to do an ultrasound. They keep looking at the x-rays and do not see anything in his organs. There hoping it might just take some time to flush out all the bad toxins. Also this morning they thought his gums look a little yellow, since they ran 3 IV bags, this afternoon it they look better, I this afternoon they just look a pale pink, with no yellow, but I'm not use to looking at Al's gums. Can you please offer some advice or on what you think? Our vet thinks if Al has another surgery at this point he will not make it. We are VERY worried about Al, any advise would be helpful!! Thank you Tracy my e-mail [email protected] or home # XXXXX (NNN) NNN-NNNN Thank you so much for your time.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
He may have swallowed something that didn't pass properly through his system and did some damage along the way. Sometimes there can be a small bowel perforation the x-rays cannot pick up. I know of one dog where the perforation was walled off by the dog's system but the infection it caused still was almost deadly for the dog. They found a wood chip when they finally located the infection source and removed an repaired the perforation.
I would at this point get him to the specialist and do the ultrasound to see if anything internal can be found that x-ray's cannot show you.
Sometimes a second review of the medical records and x-rays by a specialist will unearth something not yet thought about by your vet.
Pink gums are normal. The yellow you saw makes me wonder if there was a liver issue involved with the problem.
The new kaopectate has an aspirin based component in it so I'd not use it in a dog with abdominal distress anymore.
The steroid was to help with inflammation of the intestinal tract.
Keep up with the supportive care. I use a product called NutriCal or VitaStat or Dyne from the pet supply store to help give nutrition to dogs with abdominal distress. Gives them energy and calories that don't require much digestion and dogs usually handle them well. Doesn't take much to keep a small dog going too.
Hope this helps you and good luck with him!