Angel
Angel, Own/Op Natural Dog Care & Behavior
Experience:  25 yrs training exp. Large Breed Behavior Spec. Nutritional support for liver/special needs dogs
205633

I have an 11 mo. old purebred choc. lab.

Customer Question

I have an 11 mo. old purebred choc. lab. adopted him 2 months ago. he is loosing his hair on his legs and underside. ideas?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
Sounds like a flea allergy. Are you using a flea product?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Angel's Post: yes, we use frontline... we have another dog with no problem with her hair. just on the choc. lab. he also seems to drink a bit more water then normal but not enough to make me think it's diabetes... not a flea problem. nerves?
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
If you are using frontline it could be that he is having a reaction to something in the yard, a weed, or other plant.

Is the dog nervous?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
well, maybe a bit nervous but certainly not to the point that i am really worried about it.. i think my other dog is considerably more nervous then bob, although bob is pretty docile, laid back and lets my other dog be the dominant dog.
so, i guess my answer is no, not really.. you think it might be like a seasonal allergy type situation then?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
actually, that might make sense. when he sits down, it's his belly and the insides of his legs that make contact w/ ground / floor..... and that is where the hair loss is most prominent...
Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
Hair loss can also be caused by a seasonal allergen, my viszla is having a similar problem now.

A cool bath with a medicated shampoo such as Chlorhexiderm or an Oatmeal shampoo, and cool water will help alleviate the chance of a secondary infection.

If the dog spend alot of time outside, you may want to supervise his actions to see if he is digging the weeds, or rubbing on a plant that is causing the problem.

Of course you can always have a skin scraping done at the vets to rule out another type of skin condition, such as mange.   It is better to catch this condition as soon as possible.

Food allergies are another possibility. There are many things that can cause loss of fur.   If he merely is "rubbing' on the ground, something male dogs are prone to do, it will rub the fur off. This is usually cause by some sort of allergen, and can be managed with the proper medication.

Expert:  Angel replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like I answered your question! Mission Accomplished!!

Experience: 25 yrs training exp. Large Breed Behavior Spec. Nutritional support for liver/special needs dogs
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you... he doesn't spend a lot of time outside but he does like to roll around in the grass and he does dig... we'll try to bath and in the meantime make an appt. at his vet. thanks so much for your help!