Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

my 5 month old female Golden has had on and off diarrhea for 5 days.

Customer Question

my 5 month old female Golden has had on and off diarrhea for 5 days. Eating less than normal but is still active. Drinking normal. Only eats dry food. Saturday b/m is normalin AM but liquid like in PM. Sunday and Monday its loose then liquid like. Tues normal, Wed loose then liquid like. Thurs morn ok but afternoon loose then liquid like. Also Sat night and Sun night she went in her cage. She has never went her cage until then. She was lethargic Sun and most of Mon. Mon night and since has been playful and active. She is up to date on all her shots, worm pills and flea treatments. Last visit to the Vet was mid June when she got her last booster and rabies shot. Any ideas??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You first need to determine the cause for the vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog has not seen the vet recently for a fecal exam, I would do this first to rule out parasites as the cause.

Dogs can also have vomiting and diarrhea because of intestinal obstructions or other causes.

Your vet can recommend some immodium to help with the vomiting but you really need to find the cause before you give him anything.

Until you can see the vet, I suggest that you hold off on food until the vomiting stops. Then switch her over to a bland diet of just boiled chicken and white rice in very small amounts.

Most often this is caused by a simple parasite problem or coccidia or giardia. You can find out with a simple fecal exam.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is not vomiting. She had a fecal examine in late May and it was negative. What puzzles me is how can one day she have normal bowel movements and the next day its loose or liquid like. Even though its loose she still lets me know she has to go and I take her outside. I have not changed her diet. Why do you suggest not feeding her? She is acting OK. Sleeps alot but thats normal. When she is awake she is playful and very active. Any ideas. My vet is not avail till Monday. Can I wait that long
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I usually suggest not feeding them for a few hours (don't mean 24 or more, just a few) to give the stomach time to rest.

I would hold off on food for the next few hours and then try the bland food mentioned above. Feed ONLY that and see if it helps. If not, a vet visit will be needed.

Does this help more?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You have been very helpful but can you explain the reason for normal one day and diarrhea the next,then normal and so on.. She is done eating for the night but tomorrow I'll try your suggestion. By the way do you recommend any particular dog food (name brand, wet or dry)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I have tried every brand of dog food available because we get donations. I see less diarrhea, vomiting and other stomach upset with Science Diet and Eukanuba than I do with any other foods. Everyone you talk to will give you a different answer on this, though. Even my most finicky dogs will eat the small bites.

Your dog could be having an allergic reaction to the food. If this is the case, corn and wheat could be the culprit. You can discuss the use of a low allergen food with your vet.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Just wanted to say "THANKS"!!!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
You are more than welcome! I hope you come back with more questions in the future.