Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

BUSTER

Customer Question

MY 10 YR OLD LAB MIX HAS A TORN LIGAMENT IN HIS BACK KNEE -- HE IS BEHAVING FINE, STILL PLAYS, HE JUST HOLDS IT UP AND WALKS GINGERLY.(HE IS OTHERWISE IN GOOD HEALTH) I HAD HIM TO THE VET TODAY AMD HE RECOMMENDED SURGERY AT $1900+ AND SAID THIS WAS THE CHOICE OR TO PUT THE DOG DOWN. I DON'T UNDERSTAND-ISN'T THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE CAN DO???
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Some dogs, particularly ones who are not very active, can live a normal life with an ACL problem. If your dog is active or is overweight, surgery is the best solution.

If I were you, I would talk with my vet about using steroids and anti-inflammatories to help with the pain and to hasten healing.

If that fails, you have surgery as a back up.

Let me know if you still have specific questions about this. I would be happy to tell you what I know.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS WASN'T SUGGESTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE INJURY ONLY HAPPENED A WEEK AGO AND IT REALLY HASN'T HAD TIME TO HEAL EVEN ON ITS OWN. I AM SURE IN AN OLDER DOG, EVEN WITH MEDS, IT IS GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP HIM RESTED, AND WATCHING SO HE DOES NOT GET TOO PLAYFUL. HE DOES NOT MOAN OR YELP, HE JUST LOOKS PITIFUL LIMPING AROUND. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OTHERWISE TO HELP IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND WILL KEEP IN TOUCH.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Special diets and supplements don't often help with a torn ACL. So, you have to resort to medical management of the problem. Anti-inflammatories and other pain relievers can be a big help.

Your vet recommended surgery because this IS a serious problem and surgery can completely fix it. Some dogs still experience some pain after surgery but many recover well.

You certainly have the option of trying the steroid and anti-inflammatory route if you want to. But your dog still may need the surgery later.

You should also keep in mind that a dog with an ACL problem should be kept on a strict diet. They cannot be allowed to get overweight.

Let me know if you still have questions. I would be happy to answer them. If my responses were helpful to you, don't forget to accept one of them.