NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

breeding my min pins

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old female min pin going into her first heat the problem is I have a not quite a year old male I plan to breed her with.I know shes too tiny yet compared to his size(he is much taller) and have heard it is dangerous for her to get pregnate on her first heat.What can I do to prevent this from happening? And can you give me a few pointers?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Andrea replied 11 years ago.
It may not be exactly dangerous for her to get pregnant on her first heat, but it is not the ideal situation. It is best to wait until she is done growing herself before she starts growing pups. She may always be smaller than the male, but that shouldn't be a concern. The only way to keep her from getting pregnant is to absolutely keep those two apart, which can be exasperating depending on how eager they are. Her heat cycle may last more than a week. It should be safe to let them back together after all the swelling in her vulva has gone down and she rejects his advances.
Expert:  Stephen Johnson replied 11 years ago.
Have you had you min pin checked for genetics and breed quality?
Do you plan to show her? Will breeding her contribute to the
breed or will you just be producing more pet puppies that will end up
in a shelter or euthanized?

These are questions that you need to seriously consider before BEFORE , did I mention before, you breed her.

Breeding is not something that should be done by just anyone who owns
two dogs. It is something that should be done by someone who
fully understands what it is that they are doing.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: Yes I did have her checked ,and no I am not useing her for show,And yes I am breeding her to produce more puppies.I understand your concern for overpopulating animals but I assure you I am a responible person who care about my pets and dont plan to give my pups to just anyone.I also have someone close by that has eleven min pins and breeds them I can contact ,I just thought I would go online to see for myself.I certainly dident need your input save it for someone who needs it.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You do need to keep them apart. Female heat seasons normally last about 3 weeks and the dogs will have to be kept apart the whole time as individual dogs vary as to when they are ovulating and receptive to a male.
There is danger in breeding too young in that you can impact the mother's health and that of the pups. You also run a higher risk of needing a c-section in a young female.
Normally in toy breeds you try to make sure that the male is the same size or smaller than the female. Knowing the size of all the grandparents is useful information too. If the pups are too large for the mother then you are looking at a c-section. Pre planning can keep costs on that down. What I normally do is to x-ray the mother a week before pups are due to make sure the dam will be able to deliver the pups herself. A planned c-section with your regular vet is far more reasonable in price (last one was just under $700 while the emergency vet quoted me over $2000) if you have to do one.
I do think to preserve your reputation as a breeder of good pets you should make sure you are not going to be breeding dogs that will produce pups that will make people unhappy with you as a breeder. Especially if you have a bigger breeder near you also selling pups who has an established reputation. Knowing you are going to be producing healthy pups is a good thing for a breeder and some simple health tests on your prospective parents such as checking for bad knees, or bad hips may help you start out on the right foot.
You also should check and see if there are any puppy lemon laws in your state. Producing a litter of pups with problems where the people turn around and sue you for their money back is no fun at all and I'm sure not at all what you have in mind.
You might want to look at the stud dogs available from the other breeder too. If she has one that is smaller and mor suited in type to your female that might be worth considering. But if that breeder doesn't health check her breeding stock I wouldn't sugget that. If you do and can prove it to your puppy buyers and the other breeder doesn't that should give you a small sales advantage over her time in the breed.
My preference as a breeder is to wait until the dogs are on their third heat before breeding them. That gives them time to mature but lets them have a litter before the pelvic area gets too 'frozen' for delivery to be easy.
To keep the dogs apart I suggest always having one dog in a crate while the other dog is loose.
In a small place that is the easiest method to make sure no breeding is going on without your knowledge.
Hope this helps you!