Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Min Pin question

Customer Question

We took our min pin to the vet on Friday the 8th and he had a steroid shot to help with allergies and we had been giving him benedryl for about 2 weeks or perhaps longer. We stopped the Bendryl on Sunday because he has been acting very tired not playfull as usual. Today he is still very lazy and has urinated in 2 spots in our home. He never does this. He is eating fine. Our vet is not avaialble today and the emergency clinic is closed. Do you have any idea why he is behaving like this???
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Steroids like prednisone are known to cause some lethargy. It's one of the reasons why it works for itching. It suppresses the dog's urge to scratch and give them a an overall calmer feeling. It has never been formally studied but in my experience it also can cause some urinary incontinance.

You should start to see this decrease as the days go by.

If not, you can give your vet a call and get a consult over the phone.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Hi Tammy,
Thank you so much I feel better. he is only a year old. Do you have any idea how long he will be lethargic. We hate it, I even gave him my socks to chew and he left them on the stairs. Also is there any symptom that would be an indication he needs medical attention. He was given the shot 4 days ago and today is the day he started urinating so do you think it will get worse before it gets better? I guess I am asking you could he die from this shot if it did not agree with his system. I am going to give you a $10.00 bonus too, because you answered so fast and I feel better.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I would keep a close eye on him and see the vet if you don't start to see this resolve soon. It's pretty normal to see some changes in behavior for the first few days after your pet starts steroids but it should clear up within a week or so.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

And thanks for the bonus.