Joann Canafax
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Lots of hands on and much studying
143236

parakeets: female is sick...I think

Customer Question

I have to amazing parakeets and the female is sick...I think! If she dies the other (her hubby) will die of a broken heart then I might as well die too. Does somebody know anything about PARAKEETS???? She lays on her tummy as her feet are still holding her up most of the day...as if she's tired and or sleepy. Her eyes slowly open and close while she's doing that. (no she does not lay at the bottom of the cage)She does this on a mirrored perch high up in the cage that allows her to practically lay down, or in a birds case they lay forward. She's been doing this for over two months, and I just read a book about parakeets yesterday and it stated that her behavior may be saying that she's ill. I bought her at Petco about a year ago, she was so small compared to the other birds, she was perfect for Angel my for some reason petite male parakeet. They have been inseperable ever since...they love eachother sooo much it makes me cry. They are always necking and just giving eachother sooo much love and attention. I have never seen this behavior in any other parakeets before. I give them purified water only, fresh food, Vitamin drops in the water, millet and lots of love. She does chat but not as much as Angel, she can be very quiet at times. She is not very active, but never really was. I know she bites me when I try to get to know her better, unlike Angel, he is and Angel. But she's just scared...I know she knows who I am, because she does give me kisses whenever Angel gives me kisses. I just don't understand why she leans forward like that. She has low energy...what may be wrong with her? Would an Avian specialist have a clue or just charge my pocketbook. Could they even ever find out what may be wrong with a little parakeet? She does stand on one leg often, I learned that means she may be cold and she is trying to warm up. But it's usually warm during the day and she still does it. Angel doesn't really at all. She does eat and drink. Do you guys take blood samples and or perform surgeries for parakeets? Please be blunt and honest with me about Bebe(female) Do you think she has a shot at living? I notice she likes to eat the cuttle bone and loves to kiss or arrange angels feathers around his face and neck all the time. She's very nurturing but needs special attention from someone who can save her life. Please help me! I did take her to an Avian hospital today and the said that she seemed okay enough to schedule an appointment to see her on Friday...four days from now. Honestly I don't really think they'll be able to help me. I felt as if they thought I was silly for bringing in a $10 parakeet for a consultaion. I believe all animals are wonderful no matter their value. I am not some funky young lady who has nothing to do with her time, nor some nut case. I am an artist who creates jewelry, and I go out to nightclubs to dance and or watch my favorite bands. I go to church on Sundays and love the Lord. So please respect and respond to this email as if you were on the other side. Thank you so much for your time.

Jacqueline
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
Could you tell me the symptoms she is having that makes you think she is sick.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: I just posted it....I hope you can find it.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
hello? I reposted it...
I have had parakeets since I was a child Petey was my baby for 10 years. What you are describing sounds normal to me Sneezing,runny eyes, loose stools, feathers fluffed all the time,lethargy ,swaying,untidy appearance staying on the bottom of the cage are all symptoms that something could be wrong but you are around them so you know if something is diffrent in her habits. If she has been doing this for a few months I seriously doubt that something is wrong ,illnesses in birds usually come on suddenly .here is a link to a parakeet site you can check out.http://www.letstalkbirds.com/budgie.htm#one

I hope I could help and if you have more questions you can reply and I will answer although Im about to hit the sack its been a very long day! JoAnn
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: Lots of hands on and much studying
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post:
Thank you! Joann you were awesome, you responded right away and made me feel alot better about my parakeets condition.

But if anybody else knows about this behavior I'd like to hear what you may have to say as well. The more we know the more we learn!!!