NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

estrus

Is there anything you can use to cover the female odor when in heat? My neighbors still have not gotten their 9 yr old dog spayed and she is in heat again!!
You can put a little vicks vapor-rub on your dog's nostrils. It will help mask the oder.
If you are asking because of suitors coming around, there isn't much you can do except ask the neighbor to keep her confined inside. Then try to educate them on the benefits of spaying!
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: When I was showing Siberians, I put arrid 5 day pads on my female when she came into heat right before a show-walked all through the tents-no one paid any attention to her. My neighbor knows what to do but he won't keep her in the house. I wanted to see if I could get anything to put on her to help-I don't think they make arrid anymore.
Its a big difference between a clean dog on leash and controlled in a dog show situation and a free roaming female who is leaving pheromone calling cards every time she urinates or defecates and who no doubt is full of traces of the scent too.
Nothing blocks that come hither call by scent alone (though if you found something that could stop breeding dogs you could probably make a fortune). Even if you put something on her, when she gets to the point of standing heat she will work to get bred even if the male is confused. In season dogs can be pretty blunt about the hormonal imperatives.
Mother Nature is strong stuff to battle!
Not that we need more unwanted pups, and not that the strain of pregnancy and puppy rearing is not hard on a dog, but if she is unspayed breeding each season reduces chances of pyometra as the birthing process really does do a lot for uterine lining shedding.
I'd say the best thing you can do for her is find a low cost spay clinic and present your neighbor with a gift certificate to it.
try www.spayusa.org for help finding such a clinic near you.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for your info. I realize of course, what you are saying, but I am trying to think of anything. I wish I could pay for the spaying, but I have 3 female kittens that need to be spayed now. Unfortunately, Georgia just ran out of the funds to help pay for it. I've had three cats neutered for half the usual cost, but now, I don't know how long it will be before there are funds again. I spoke to the wife tonight and she said they had to wait for their next paycheck.I have 5 dogs and 10 cats(all in the house)-5 of them were born under the other neighbors house and I've had them since they were 3 weeks old. The mother brought them out from under the house and the neighbors found her dead later that day.Anyhow, I spend more money on food for the animals than I do for my husband and I.Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.
Leslie
Even if the dog gets bred she can be spayed early on in her pregnancy without any big problem.
I've got a herd of animals too - many rescues and if its not a show dog its spayed or neutered!
The dog and cat food companies love me too! :)
Check that spayusa site or go to www.google.com and put in low cost spay dog Georgia and see all the resources - there may be more programs than you know about available. Many private vets just do low cost spay neuter with no subsidy as a public service and there are other groups doing them too.
Every single person that gets educated on spay neuter for pets (vs show type or working dogs) brings your area one day closer to not having the serious shelter issues you do. I've been here in NH for 20 years now and seen it go from free pups and kittens everywhere to you can barely find one here at all. Its not quick but over time it works! so keep up the good fight!