Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

what to do for my 9 year old golden with nasodigtal hyperkatosis

Customer Question

It is painful.
I have cut off as much of the (keritan-feather)
as I could.
She has in on all 4 foot pads.
Also called foot pat disease.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Hyperkeratosis can’t be cured but it can be controlled.

The veterinarian can carefully trim excessive keratin from the pads and can teach you how to do it yourself. It sounds like you have that part under control.

The vet can also instruct the owner on techniques to hydrate the pads, retarding excessive keratin growth. One technique is to soak the pads each day in a 50 percent propylene-glycol solution over a period of several days. Your pharmacist can help you find the right parts for the mixture.

You might also want to change the dog's diet to an allergy free one (minus corn and wheat). This can help in some cases. Your vet can help you choose a good product.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Hello, Thankyou for the reply,However I already know all this. I was hoping to possibly find a holistic cure.
Thankyou, Susan
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Retin-A has also been used effectively to treat this. Have you tried that option?

There is a great moisturizer that we use for dogs with this condition if you see the peeling and problems around the nose. This is another common area where you will see the scaling and skin issues of this disease. On the nose, we use "Bag Balm" a moisturizer that you can purchase at Wal-mart. It's in a cow print container. You can use it liberally and see if it helps.

For a holistic remedy, you should get the dog started on a good supplement. Be sure that it contains Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Omega three fatty acids. This will help to keep his skin healthy from the inside out.

I hope this helps more.

Let me know if you still need more suggestions.