Viv Graves
Viv Graves, Pet Specialist
Experience:  30+ yrs working w/ vets, Petsitter, shelter medicine,regional Equine information network system cert
194171

Nose

Customer Question

The nose of my german shepard has a split on the right nostril. He occassionally bleeds from that side of his nose. What can be done to stop the bleeding and help his nose to heal?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Viv Graves replied 11 years ago.
You might try using a little cornstarch to help it clot. Or apply some Nu-Skin (invisable bandage) to the split. Its available where ever first aid supplies are sold. Make sure the area clean before you do this.
Hope this helps Linda! Please let me know if you have other questions
Viv Graves, Pet Specialist
Experience: 30+ yrs working w/ vets, Petsitter, shelter medicine,regional Equine information network system cert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: We have used vitamin e oil, neo sporin, and vaseline up to this point. Also used otomax.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you have used a lot of products and it's not helping, you might want to see your vet to rule out a thyroid condition. This is a common cause of nose problems.

I would start by washing the area well with peroxide or betadine. Then apply some neosporin ointment. If this does not help, you should see your vet for some additional tests.

After the healing starts, there is a great product called "bag balm" that is a moisturizer that you can get at wal-mart. It works great for noses.

Let me know if you still have questions.