NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Bumps on Doberman

Customer Question

My doberman has a red bump under his chin and it bleeds. He also has little bumps all over his body ,chest,back,and legs? He has been tested for mites was negative but taking medicine in case. Was told he could be allergic to flea stuff I gave him? I am wondering what the bumps are and a way we can get rid of them. Thank You Jeanne
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
The bumps on his body may be hives or they may be a skin infection. He could have been allergic to the flea medications or he might be sensitive to a food item or even an inhaled allergen.
Under the chin I'd suspect a case of canine 'pimples' which are usually small follicle infections.
For the bleeding spot try cleaning it with betadine solution or 3% peroxide and then putting some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it to clear it up. If another pimple forms do not pop it just clean it off and use the ointment. Opening the sore can lead to more sores.
If he has a food allergy he may need a change in diet. You can read about food allergies here
www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html
You might want to ask the vet about antihistamines or antihistamine shampoo.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: The bump on his chin is the whole chin could that just be a big pimple or a growth? Is there anything we can do about him chewing his nails? He chews them then he walks with a limp. What can we put on his feet?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Sorry was off feeding the herd of dogs here - wasn't ignoring you!
Yes it could all be canine acne - often it is the whole chin involved - looks awful but is something that will go away with treatment.
You can also look up acne in dogs here
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deacne.html
Probably not a growth its actually pretty common in dobes!
Another thing it might be is plastic dish dermatitis - some dogs are sensitive to a bacteria that can live on the softer plastic dishes and break out - swapping to steel bowls can help clear this up.
Rinse his chin off with the stuff I mentioned after he eats too - sometimes food can cause the skin to erupt in pimples just by building up on the chin surface