Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

seizures

Customer Question

My eleven year old male scotty terrier mix is suffering a string of seizures that came out of nowhere. I live in the country and have no way to get him to a vet before tomorrow. He is extremely stressed out and completely disoriented. He has just suffered his fourth seizure this evening. is there anything I can do to help him while I am waiting to take him in to a vet tomorrow?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately, no. I would just try to keep him calm and see the vet first thing in the morning.

Prologned seizure activity can cause brain damage so you will want to take this very seriously.

Seizures can also be caused by a serious condition like a tumor or other foreign body. They can also be caused by low blood sugar.

No matter what, I hope that you are able to see the vet today. There are effective anti-seizure medications that are not very expensive.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I am so sorry that I took this long to answer your e-mail, but I have had a rotten day with my poor little dog. I finally got him into the Marina Animal clinic in Tulsa this morning. He suffered two more seizures during the night, and one just prior to getting to the vet.

He had been out of the last seizure approx. an hour, and was resting easy by the time the vet got to see him. However, the dog was completely unable to respond to sound, sight, or aware of his surroundings.He could walk, but badly.

The vet told me virtually the same thing you did. Evidently The sheer amount of seizures the poor animal suffered, coupled with their lengthy duration, is now showing signs of severe and permanent brain damage. The dog also had elevated liver enzymes.

Faced with the possibilities of seeing the little guy go through the terror and pain of continued attacks at his age, is more than I can bear for either of us. I elected therefore to put Gunther out of his pain and terror permanetly, by having him put to sleep.

I loved the little guy as much as any family member, and I hurt like hell knowing I was giving the go ahead to kill my good friend. However, I am finding solace in the fact that he will never suffer like that again.

Until one has witnessed one of these seizures, it is hard to relate to the pitiful helplessness one feels at the time, and how much worse it must be for the little dog whom does not understand what is going on.

Thank you for your time. I only regret that I do not have the money to make a serious donation to your cause. Again, Thank You

Alva Young

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Just take some comfort in the fact that your dog is not in pain and that you did all that you could do for him.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.