NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

pittbull eyelids going going

Customer Question

my pitbull has had repeated skin problems, hives with reg animal shampoo, cyst in between his toes that bleed, I have had him on so much antibiotics and his eyelids started looking like they were being eaten away, I took him off the antibiotic, because of the eyelids now he has been off all antibio. to see if the eyes get better but they are getting progressively worse.i have a dermatologist who wants to do a biopsy , then I hear that pitts are very sensitive and need to eat special food. what do you think?for once his feet haven't cysted without the antibiotic bur his eyes look like cysts are taking over his eyelids. have you heard of anything like this to do with pitt bulls?

Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you have not tried changing his food to see if his problem is that he is sensitive to a particular element in the food you are feeding now that migth help a lot to solve your problems.
You can look at pet food ingredients here
www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz
or here
www.doberdogs.com
to help you find a food that has different grains and protein sources from the one you feed now. Some people find California Natural, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae or Wellness Fish and Potato helps their particular pet.
You may also find fatty acid supplements such as Derm Caps, Oil of Evening Primrose, or Linatone with Zinc helps the skin issues in their pet.
You can read about food allergies in pets here
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_food_allergies.html
This can be very frustrating to deal with.
If your dog happens to be the color called 'blue' you may be dealing with issues because of the pigmentation of your dog. Dilute colors seem to have more allergies and immune issues.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: hi nancy:
thank you for your response, I am worried that the dermatologist, maybe trying to make money off me and put my pittbull through discomfort,today in about 1/2 hour I am suppose to bring him to her so they can do a biopsy of his eyelids, she never mentioned his food, might need to be changed or about allergies.,my son heard from one of his friends also to check out food ingredients, such as wheat and try another dog food such as nutra max. what shall I do? thanksCustomer
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I'd do the biopsy as it could be something such as a sun related cancer - that can happen to animals.
But I'd look into the food possibilities too.
I'm not wild about nutra max foods myself but the foods I listed have helped dogs that I know about. The key would be at this point to change every grain used and every protein source (including eggs etc) and try to limit the odds the dog has a food allergy.
Talk about this with the vet. Most of the vets I've met really are interested in making the animals more comfortable not just about making money.
Pitbulls much to my surprised are known as a breed that does have allergies and lots of skin problems. I just hadn't thought about that before but it makes sense given the breeds they are related to also tend towards these problems.
If they have not done a thyroid test that might be worth doing too. If the dog has thyroid issues that can predispose them to having allergy problems.
Again talk to the vet and if they can't or won't discuss this with you then I'd look for one who you feel you can work with better and take the records from the work done at this vet to the new one so you don't have to start fresh.
Good luck!