Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

urinating problem

Customer Question

11 year old border collie mix, neutured, had a bladder infection that cleared up with medicine, orbex. He still seems to be having problems, pees inside and when outside he seems to be crunched as if peeing and pooping for periods of time. Took him back to the vet blood and urine tests show within normal range, X-ray of belly showed no stones. He seems to be miserable, but looks and acts fine. He can not make it through the night without wetting, seems to have full streams but also has drips, like he used it but feels like he has to still get more out. What could be wrong? Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Sometimes, as pets age, their urinary sphincter muscles don't work as well as they used to, especially when they are sleeping. Since he is dripping, I feel even more inclined to think this. If this is the case, there are medications that can help to improve sphincter tone. You should talk with your vet about them.

Also, urinary incontinance can be a sign of a disc or back problem so you will want to have this checked by the vet as well.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: He does not do it in his sleep he gets up to go urinate. He doesn't seem to sleep long periods because of this. He doesn't seem to go no longer then 3 hours before he goes in the house, during the day he probably doesn't spend more then a hour in the house before he wants back out to use the bathroom. He has had the problem of getting loose stools easily if given a treat he is not use to getting so I don't change the things he eats, He use to be able to eat anything without this problem. I don't know if that has anything to do with the urinating problem, I figured it was just age.
Thank You
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You are correct. It does have a lot to do with age. Since your vet has ruled out crystals and UTI's, I would talk with him about the medication to strengthen the urinary sphincter.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: That does not make sense to me because the dog is trying to urinate. If the muscles are weak wouldn't he also be urinating when sleeping or just lying around with drippings under him when he gets up. This is not what is happening.
Thank You.