Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

RAWHIDE DIGESTIBILITY

Customer Question

Background: Our 2 year old XXXXX XXXXX Terrier spent a week with our friend while we were out of town. She gave our pooch rawhide.   He doesn't have any appetite since he's been home (just 2 days), and has vomited a small amount of dinner. On the plus side, he is drinking water and able to keep down small amounts of food. He is able to urinate and pass stools. He is listless but NOT in distress.   We wonder if he may have a partial intestinal blockage from the rawhide. I am nervous about his ingesting the rawhide for two reasons. I don't know if rawhide is digestible, and, I don't know the size and amount of what he ingested. Of course, this had to happen when our vet is on vacation (till next Monday). When I phoned the vet’s office, they said we have three options: take him in to another vet for an X Ray, observe and see if anything passes or he gets worse, or wait until our regular vet returns on Monday.

Our Question is in several parts: (1) Are there any foods or home remedies to try to help "dissolve" or help pass ingested rawhide?
(2) Does rawhide eventually get digested or does it just sit there if pieces are too big to pass?
(3) What is the best way to handle this situation? Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.   

NOTE: Our pooch is NOT in distress. If he were, I would take him immediately to the nearest 24 hour vet clinic. In the past, I fostered more than 8 Great Danes, and am super conscious of bloat and the danger of waiting in that kind of situation. This is different, but I want to be proactive, in any case. Thanks in advance.   
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Rawhides don't disolve so this may be your problem. Rawhides make great chew toys but you have to take them away when they get small enough to be swallowed. Some pieces are just too big to pass.

If I were you, I would see the vet tomorrow to have an x-ray (not terribly expensive) to rule this out. They might be able to retrieve a fragment before it does damage and causes a blockage.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your answer. I need to give a bit more information that I received since posting my initial question on JUSTANSWER.

I called the "manufacturer" of the rawhide our friend purchased from Frys Foods/Kroger: Pet Pride, a division of InterAmerican Pet Products. The rawhide was a product of Brazil. The company contends that the rawhide DOES get digested, but the dog must chew the hide well, and the pieces must be small (almost paste-like). Anxiety and trauma over seeing a new vet and getting an x-ray to see if there is indeed a sizeable fragment are my main concerns.

As I mentioned, our pooch is NOT in distress yet. Further, he ate his dinner since I posted (without vomiting), and his nose is wet, eyes clear, and he seems "stable" so far.

Appreciate your answer, and the time you took to write, but I am confused -- you say rawhide is NOT digestible; PetPride contends that it is digestible.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Sorry that I confused you. Rawhides are digestible in the fact that they can be chewed. BUT, some dogs stop chewing when the pieces get small and they just swallow them. Once they hit the intestestines, they are not further digested.

Make sense?