Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Questions regarding spaying using laser

Customer Question

My female golden retriever is 5 mos and is scheduled to be spayed on August 1 (at 6 mos). She had many health problems when I purchased her at 6 weeks. She came down with parvo (her mother was not vaccinated and caught parvo and gave it to her puppies)two days after I purchased her. Without aggressive treatment, she would have not survived. Two weeks later she came down with campylobacter and another gastrointestinal disease and almost died. Her bowels still act up and she has a very sensitive stomach. Now, I am worried about the spaying since the surgery is to invasive. I have asked my vet to run blood tests prior to the surgery to make sure she is a candidate for such surgery. I also have heard about laser surgery for spaying.

Here are my questions:
1. Are there any other questions I should be asking my vet prior to having my dog, Ellie Mae, spayed -- especially given her unfortunate clinical history in her early life.
2. How safe is spaying for a dog with Ellie Mae's clinical history.
3. Is a blood test the only way to find out if she is a candidate for spaying surgery?
4. What can you tell me about the cost and safety of using laser surgery to spay my dog.
5. Is laser surgery for spaying a good alternative for my dog with her clinical history?
6. Is there any other options out there for spaying that is less invasive?
Thank you.
[email protected]
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you have the pre-anesthesia blood work done, you should not have a problem with the surgery. There is ALWAYS risk, though, so be aware of that.

The parvo should not be a reason to forego the surgery. Neither should the GI issues.

It will be just as safe as spaying any other dog. The GI tract is not involved at all in the spay process EXCEPT for increased gas following the procedure.

A blood test is the best way to find out if she is a candidate and it's usually the most conclusive.

I am not familiar with laser spays and can only tell you what I have read about it. It is rare in my area so we have not experienced it. However, we do normal spays every day with our rescues so I know all about that. I have even assisted with several. The procedure is done through a small incision in the abdomen. The work is performed, the uterus and ovaries removed and the dog is sewed back up (to make it short and sweet!). Within 24 hours, the dog feels better.

I think that the risks are much greater if you DON'T spay her. You will not only have to tolerate heat behaviors but you will also have the increased risk of mammary, uterine, ovarian and reproductive cancers. You also run the risk of pyometra, a dangerous uterine infection.

I hope that this helps some. If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thankyou very much.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
You are more than welcome. I hope you come back with more questions in the future.