Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Urine Problem

Customer Question

My 11 yr old Border Collie is leaking urine around the house and she don't seem to know she is doing it. What can be the problem and what can I do to help?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Viv Graves replied 11 years ago.
Sometimes older female dogs have leaky bladders just as people do. You vet can prescribe medication to help with this. Not an emergency, but I would take her to a vet as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: I knew that she will probably have to go to a vet, however I was expecting a home remedy type answer to try before having to take her to a vet!

A while ago, someone told me corn silk tabs help. That is the type of info I was looking for.
I have no idea wether corn silk tabs would help or not. I don't think there are any long-term home remedies that will help with this. She should be seen by a vet in order to rule out a urinary tract infection, which antibotics would cure. Sorry.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: Thanks for trying, but I have to wait and see if I get some better tips from someone else.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Viv is correct. You will not be able to avoid seeing the vet. Silk tabs have not been medically tested or used to treat this problem.

This could be a serious problem or it could be a simple one.

It would be a good idea to try to rule out neurologic causes for the urine leakage, especially if there are any other signs of neurologic problems, such as weakness in one or both rear legs, improper foot placement or a drooping tail. This can be an indicator that there is a back or disc problem that needs treatment.

In addition, making sure that a urinary tract infection or disorder is not present is also a good idea. These can make urination painful so you will see some leakage because they might hold it. If there are stones present, she may not be able to control it.

It also might be because of a decrease in urine sphincter tone (the form of incontinence associated with decreases in the reproductive hormones) but it is still a good idea to be careful not to miss another cause.

Your first step will be to see the vet as soon as you can to get a diagnosis and to discuss your treatment options.