Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Hair Loss...

Customer Question

My 6 Year old Meduim sized dog is losing her hair on her hind legs...what could this mean?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like your dog might be suffering from allergies. This is VERY common in some breeds.

There are some simple things you can do if your dog might be suffering from allergies.

I would talk with the vet about a different low allergy diet, one that will have the least reaction.

You should also get her on a flea preventative if she is not already. Even if you don't see fleas, it only takes one to get the cycle started. Some dogs are highly allergic to flea bites.

I would also use a prescribed dose of benadryl, especially during allergy season. My vet recommends 1 mg per lb of body weight given every 8-12 hours.

Keep in mind that dogs can have allergies to pollen, dust and other household allergens so you should evaluate your home and try to make it as allergy free as you possibly can for her.

It sounds like the dog might also have a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. This is usually secondary to allergies and itching. This means that the secondary problem is caused by the primary.

When dogs scratch, they abrade the skin and allow bacterial and funguses to enter the skin. The result is a bacterial or fungal infection. This is what causes the smell.

You need to see the vet so that they can get a culture and tell you what kind of treatment is necessary.

While you are there, you should also speak with the vet about a supplement that has omega three fatty acids. Good skin starts from the inside out and this can be very beneficial.

Let me know if you still have specific questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank-You so much...I was worried it could have been something far more serious! Thank-you So very much for responding so quickly...and I apologize for not being able to get you more $! :)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
You are more than welcome. Don't forget to accept an answer. This will not cost more money but will just move your deposit over to my account.