Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

pug: has imha, how can I keep him around for a long time? terrilee

Customer Question

my 2yr old pug has IMHA, how can I keep him around for a long time?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Among veterinarians who commonly treat IMHA, the preferred treatment is

1) dexamethasone or prednisone in the very early treatment, almost always switching to prednisone alone quickly

2) Azathioprine as the most commonly used secondary medication. This might not increase survival times but it may help to reduce side effects from steroids

3) Cyclosporin is the newest medication being used for IMHA and some vets like it a lot. It works better and is safer if the dosage is adjusted based on serum levels, with 500ng/ml being the lowest dosage thought to be effective and 1000ng/ml about the level at which immunosuppression becomes severe enough to be a problem. I think a lot of vets would use the human immunoglobulin if it were available and/or less expensive.

It is extremely important to continue to look for an underlying cause for IMHA, especially in older patients, since it can be associated with certain forms of cancer (hemangiosarcoma and other malignant cancers) and can occur due to drug and toxin exposure. It is more common in the month after
vaccination, too.

Some dogs take longer to recover than others. We have
had to treat with prednisone for several months on a daily basis in some
dogs.

source

I hope that this helps some. Let me know if you still have questions.