NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Shepherd mix: bite at an area just above her tail..hyper..listless

my 7-8 year old Shepherd mix is violently jerking her head around to bite at an area just above her tail. I searched the area and there is what if it were on me, would be a small skin tag. She is also hyperventilating from time to time and either hyper or listless. This has been going on in a way that I have become concerned for 2 days. I have applied triple anti biotic ointment and cortizone cream to the area for lack of knowing what else to do. Can you advise me?

Thanks,

roy heinzle
Have you ever seen an attached tick - this sounds like what the problem is and getting it off her will probably make her feel better. She may even have picked up a disease from it.
Your vet can help you with removing the tick and getting you some tick prevention or you can buy a Tick Arrest or Preventic Collar with Amitraz which will make the tick back out (eventually) and fall off and die.
You will still want to have the dog checked for tick carried diseases though by your vet.
You can also read about tick removal here
http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=609
and you can see a very graphic picture of engorged ticks being held in a hand here
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/ticks/engorged_ticks.jpg for comparison to what you are seeing
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi,

I have a Shepherd mix, I have had her for over 7 years and once in a while she would uruinate in bed. I love her early and wouldn't think of getting rid of her. However, this has been increasing in frequency and I am getting really tired of "disciplining" her for it and making her feel bad. The increasing frequency is a real problem. Other than in the bed, I have little to no problem.

HELP.

Thanks,

Roy
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I don't think so/ I am familiar with ticks and I notice she is getting other "hot spots" today so I am thinking allergy. What do you think?

I am very poor vets are beyond my means so I need home reemedies.

Thanks,

Roy
So if its hotspots I'd suggest trimming the hair away from the area that look bad.
Clean the areas off with betadine or 3% peroxide.
Use an antibiotic ointment on the spots.
If she is not on flea treatment you might want to start with a flea bath and spraying the floors of your home with a flea spray with insect growth regulator such as Zodiac Fleatrol with IGR.
She might also find some relief from Benadryl dosed at 1mg per pound of dog weight so a 75 pound dog would get three 25mg tablets twice a day.

With the in bed urination its likely spay incontinence and that you can get drugs to treat. But as she is a shepherd mix it could also be a spinal arthritis problem - a vet would be the best one to tell you.
As disciplining does not work to resolve the problem stop doing the discipline. Its not likely she has any control over the problem.
You can try using the incontinence pads under where she sleeps on the bed. They make them for intcontinent humans and are pretty big and absorbant and disposable. Another solution would be using adult diapers or one of those 'in season' belts for dogs with a urinary incontinence pad on them such as a Poise pad.
Those would minimize clean up and keep your bed dry.