NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

How do we stop the garbage hound

Customer Question

Help!! Three years ago we adopted a 3 year old fixed blonde Lab. I noticed when we first got her, that she would get upset when we would leave the house. At the time, we also had 2 other dogs...one has since died.
Our adoptee seemed to adjust rapidly and took to my husband. They have a very close relationship. I also noticed, that when we first got her, she had a "garbage habit". She went for out garbage about 5 times or less. She is the smartest dog that we ever owned. We left her with a friend for a week once and she did go for the garbage. Prior, to now, those were the only times she was a "bad dog". All of a sudden...the garbage thing has become a daily routine!!!
   We are trying to adjust to this new behavior, but it is so odd to us. My husband left a peach on the counter today...it was pushed resonalby far back. That did not stop her. I also left some empty bread bags on top of the micro wave and we can see the evidence at her persistance to get to the bag, as the door of the mirco wave have deep paw marks scraped across it.
   She appears to be very healthy. Needless to say she, has an appetite...she is not overly thirsty, but she is ashamed. She always greets who ever comes home happily at the door. Now she just hides in the basement as she knows has done something wrong. We have put mouse traps up to no avail....we do not physically hit the dog....but she has become psycho dog. What is your guess?

Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As she is a labrador I'd suggest first checking to make sure her thyroid isn't out of balance. That can cause serious hunger and counter surfing.
Also if she turns up healthy labs do well with jobs to do - she may be bored and a toy like a Buster cube that dispenses treats or a stuffed Kong toy or one or two of the similar toys available might be a good diversion for her. An increase in directed exercise like games of fetch or walks where she gets to really get tired may help.
She is not by the way ashamed of her behavior what she now is feeling is fearfulness of you coming home because now when you come home you yell at her or otherwise act upset! Looks the same to you but isn't the behavior you think you are seeing. To her it seems like you've gone nutty about coming home and seeing her so she hides from you.
You can also change her over to being crated while you are not home if she only does this while you are away.
For some in person training help if it turns out to not be a health issue check www.apdt.com for a trainer near you.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy provided us with some realistic approaches with our dog. We will give her advice a whirl and see where it takes us