NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

VACCINES

Customer Question

WITHIN 2 DAYS OF BEING GIVEN A RABIES (3 YR) VACCINE, MY SISTERS WELSH TERRIER DEVELOPED NEUROGICAL SYSMPTOMS. SHE EVEN AT ONE POINT, FORGOT HOW TO EAT & DRINK. SHE HAS BEEN GIVEN A LONG LASTING STEROID SHOT.........SYMPTOMS ARE IMPROVING. WE WERE REFERRED TO A VET NEUROLOGIST, WHO DIAGNOSED ENCEPHALITIS, AND DID A SPINAL TAP. WE SHOULD GET THE RESULTS OF THE TEST TODAY. DOLLY WAS STILL LACTATING (IN THE PROCESS OF WEANING) WHEN THE VACCINE WAS GIVEN, AND THROUGH RESEARCHING ON THE NET, FIND SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN VACCINATED! DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION ON THE PROGNOSIS FOR ENCEPLALITIS IN DOGS? WE ARE SOOOO UPSET, AND WANT TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO HELP HER.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I have been hearing over the last 2 or 3 years about some dogs reacting to some rabies vaccines with paralysis and neurological symptoms.
The people I know who have helped their pets over come this did so using therapies to help get body use back and one person had good luck with accupuncture as an aid to getting the dog back to where it could express its bladder itself. Another person had good luck with swim therapy. Time seemed to help all of them regain body control.
These were healthy animals that only had a rabies shot and then came down with this problem. I've not been able to find out if this was any particular brand of vaccine.
Pregnant and lactating bitches are not supposed to be vaccinated.
I think if you work with your dog and are patient you should have a good prognosis as that has been the experience of others that I know had this issue.
I'd talk to the vet about not vaccinating again for rabies and doing titers instead.
You might want to tell people who get the pups to be aware that a vaccine reaction could be possible due to their mom having one. My feeling is that some of this inability to handle either the vaccine or the fluids the vaccine comes in (preservatives vary) may be inherited.
Hope this helps you!