Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

sick akita

Customer Question

My dog is an Akita and is 3 years old. She is neutered. Her nose is, on top, is scabby and her ears have sores. Her vet said there was something that Akita's and Chow's are susesptable to. He took a sample and sent it to a lab, but the results did not pin anything down. The results sounded to me like it might be a fungal disease, but the vet thinks her imune system is attaching her. We put her on steroids and antibiotics and vitamin E. She got a lot better, but it looks like it is back(in a very short time from treatment). I did not like how she was on steroids. Is there anything else that she could have or any other way of treating her(possibly curring her)? Please help [email protected]
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You may find that using a sunscreen on her will help if her ears and nose area is white.
If you happen to be using a plastic bowl to feed her you could try changing to stainless steel or ceramic dishes instead. Some dogs have sensitivity to a bacteria that can grow on the plastic dishes.
If it is an autoimmune issue you may find swapping her food to one without preservatives and minimal grains will help her too. Foods like California Natural, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Wellness Fish and Potato and other low allergen containing foods often help.
You can read about issues in this breed including Pemphigus here
http://www.akitaclub.org/web/health/davis.html
You may want to have your vet do a full thyroid panel as often autoimmune diseases respond to correcting thyroid imbalances.
Hope this helps you!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Many dogs have nose problems if they have immune disorders. This is pretty common. Because of this, you need to protect the nose the best way that you can. This means applying sunscreen every day. At night, you can use a moisturizer called "bag balm" (walmart) and coat the nose liberally with it. Some pets with this disorder will actually get so bad that the vet suggests tattooing the nose to prevent the peeling and scarring.

If an allergy is causing the problems :

I would talk with the vet about a different low allergy diet, one that will have the least reaction. Fish and potato works well as does rabbit and potato. Most dogs with allergies do well with a diet that does not contain corn or wheat.

You should also get her on a flea preventative if she is not already. Even if you don't see fleas, it only takes one to get the cycle started. Some dogs are highly allergic to flea bites.

I would also use a prescribed dose of benadryl, especially during allergy season. My vet recommends 1 mg per lb of body weight given every 8-12 hours.

Keep in mind that dogs can have allergies to pollen, dust and other household allergens so you should evaluate your home and try to make it as allergy free as you possibly can for her.

It sounds like the dog might also have a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. This is usually secondary to allergies and itching. This means that the secondary problem is caused by the primary.

When dogs scratch, they abrade the skin and allow bacterial and funguses to enter the skin. The result is a bacterial or fungal infection.

You need to see the vet so that they can get a culture and tell you what kind of treatment is necessary.

While you are there, you should also speak with the vet about a supplement that has omega three fatty acids. Good skin starts from the inside out and this can be very beneficial.

Let me know if you still have specific questions about this.