NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Sneezing Baby

Customer Question

My dog is a about 18 months old and for the past few days has had a really runny nose, is sneezing constantly and sometimes you can hear a boogery sound when she is sleeping. We think she may have a slight cold. I have checked her temp frequently over the past 3 days and it has not gone above 101.4. My understanding that average temp for dogs is between 100 and 102. We can't afford to take her to the vet at this time and I am simply looking for a possible home remedy to help her feel better. She is eating, although not her normal amount and is drinking plenty of water. She does seem very run down and her main interest is sleeping not playing like normal. Any bit of advise I could receive would be wonderful.

Thank you
Erica Nielsen
Albuquerque, NM
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
She may have picked up kennel cough a canine disease that is much like our colds. They get it from other dogs. It usually runs its course in about 10 days.
Like colds though you need to watch for worsening symptoms in case it turns into pneumonia.
You can use Robitussin DM if it gets too bad as a home treatment for cough and runny nose.
Robitussin DM: For non-productive coughs. Dogs: 1 ml per 10 pounds every 12 hours so a 25 pound dog would get one 2.5 ml dose every 12 hours. If you have a cc measuring spoon or syringe 1ml=1cc when dosing.
Do not use any similar med if it has Tylenol or Ibuprofen etc in it though exact generic versions may be ok to use.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: If we don't see an improvement within the next week should we then take her to the vet? I don't want to put off medical care we are just not in the position to take her to the vet.

I thank you so much for your response and so pleased to receive one so quickly

Thank you

Erica Nielsen
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If she gets worse, stops eating or drinking, has a hard time breathing, gets lethargic suspect its serious and get her to the vet.
If the nasal discharge changes color or starts being smelly suspect something stuck up the nose like a weed seed, such as a foxtail, might be the culprit.
If the temp goes up suddenly on you again its time to see the vet.
You seem pretty in tune with how she is feeling so go on your instincts about how she is doing.
And you are welcome :)