ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

5 year old beagle with incomplete neutering

Customer Question

My Beagle is 5 years old and was neutered at 6 months of age. I have had increasing problems with him urinating in my house and humping every pillow he can find. He tends to urinate on and around chair legs but occasionally does so on a bed or sofa. The vet who performed the surgery 5 years ago says there is no chance that it was somehow too early or incomplete or otherwise the reason for this problem. I would like another opinion and suggestion for FIXING the problem!

Scout is a good dog otherwise, behaves well, loves
people and kids and is devoted to me. When I find a puddle of urine in my house he knows I am upset and heads for his crate dejectedly. I quit yelling about it years ago and I don't punish him
since I don;t catch him in the act. I most often find the pee in the kitchen or TV room in the morning when I get up ---- there is a 24-hour doggie door so that is not why....

Someone suggested that he needs doggy prozac...
I am wondering if a "re-do" of the surgery would be a solution....
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
When dogs mount, it tends to be more of a dominence thing than a sexual thing. Thats why you'll see female dogs doing it. The marking thing is behavioral. Something you will have to train out of him. As long as you have ruled out a medical reason like a bladder infection that would prevent him from holding his urine for very long then I would highly suggest getting in touch with a traier to work with you and him to extinquish the behavior.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Why does my dog try to dominate pillows? He will hump pillows until he is exhausted and it appears that there is semen released -- maybe it's urine, I don;t know. Are you agreeing with my vet that it is absolutely not a possibility that he was
not completely neutered?

And how would a trainer deal with sporadic urination in my house? How can you train the dog to not do that, especially if he doesn it mostly at nigh or early mornign when no one is around????
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
Basically when they are neutered, the testicles are completely removed. Unless he had one or both testicles retained and they weren't able to find them at the time of the surgery, the odds of him not being completely neutered are very unlikely. The reason that he is doing the urination during the night is because he doesn't realize its wrong and you have to train it out of him. Scolding him after the fact doesn't help because they don't remember what they did. Positive reinforcement is the best wy for success. Not giving access to water after 8-9pm and walking him a few times after the water is picked up and he goes to bed will help. When he goes outside praise praise praise and he will put 2 and 2 together. When he mounts the pillows, don't let him continue. Take it away and make him sit then reward him so he gets the idea that the other behavior won't get attention. Just be patient
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: One more attempt to fully understand this --- so it is possible that if a dog is neutered at a very young age, they may NOT have found BOTH testicles to remove and just hoped it wouldn't be a problem later -- is it possible to determine now if there is a testicle to be removed? COuld it be there but not fully distended???? Or is just a an old wives tale when other people discuss this possibility--- a frind says her dog is on doggy prozac because of incomplete neutering, should I just dispense with that notion?

Could the mounting of pillows and almost relentless humping be some sort of nervous or "psychiatric" situation, a stress releiver for my dog? He seems to do it only at night, tends to
do it with a pillow in my bedroom and only on occasion has taken a sofa pillow to hump. As a young dog, following his surgery he had a large stuffed dog he dragged around, slept with and
mounted, chewed on, etc until it was reduced to
nothing..... he was very attached to that dog -- could it be just like a kid who loses their blankie????? Do I need to consider a tranquilizer?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Still feeling the need for more information --- if the neutering that was done when Scout was 6 months was not complete, can he go through surgery now? Could the vet have missed removal of a testicle , couldn;t find it because he was so young and didn't make the extra effort? Is there a reason a "re-do" would not be attempted? And if the mounting/humping is a behavior to show dominance why does he hump pillows and not the two female dogs in my house?
Why is trying to dominate pillows and humping until he is exhausted?