ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Pet Health

Customer Question

Why does my cat keep gagging like she is going to throw up, but she doesn't?
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Is she eating normally? How old is she? Does she ever bring anything up when she does the gagging?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: She seems to be eating ok. She is 18 years old. She has never done this type of gagging before. Whenever she opens her mouth she makes the movement like if you stick your finger down your throat, but nothing happens. She does vomit sometimes, but not lately. I do give her IV fluids sometimes because she is in the beginning stages of kidney failure.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
She also keeps licking her lips and swallowing.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Now that I think about her appetite, which is usually very large for an 8.5 lb cat, she hasn't been as hungry since yesterday when this started. She was ok yesterday morning. I left for the day and she was doing this when I returned home last nite.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
I would be concerned with her kidney failure. It may be something as simple as hairballs but being you have her on fluids I would have your ve check her out just incase.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Should I take her to the emergency or wait until tomorrow and to my vet?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
How is her urine output? Will she eat if you try warming it and watering it down a bit so she'll get more fluids that way?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I haven't actually seen her urinate today. She has mostly been sleeping, but she got up to drink water twice and has eaten a little bit of dry food and some boiled chicken breast. Is there a way I can check her throat to see if something is in there? Can she wait til tomorrow to go to the vet or should I take her to the emergency tonight?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Well I was us your own judgement. You know, being you've been going thru this with her, whether or not she will be ok til lorning. Her eating and drinking someis a good sign. I wouldn't try looking because it may just stress her out and more than likely nothing is lodged or she wouldn't eat. I'm betting on the kindey failure and she may need bloodwork again and a possible increase in her S.Q.fluids but I wouldn't increase til you vet see's her. Keep an eye on her and should she start to act more depressed then take her in tonight but otherwise she can wait til morning.

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Thank you for your help.