ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

English Mastiff: vet yesterday..back legs..medicine..Ex-rayed her hips

Customer Question

We have an English Mastiff, we took her to the vet yesterday, because we thought that she might have a UTI, but we were also concerned that her back legs seemed to be giving out on her. As it turned out they examined her, and she does have a UTI, and they gave her medicine for it. They Ex-rayed her hips, and said that they were O.K. I am still very concerned about her back legs giving out on her. Could this be from the infection? Or does it seem like there might be something else to have checked out?
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
When they x-rayed her, did they include her spine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: yes her spine was on one of the X-rays, and the vet said that it looked fine. Also, today I noticed that it seems to be her right leg that is stiff and giving out more than the other. If she is standing up, she sort of waves back and forth and then her right leg slides out, and she almost falls. When she is turning, she seems to pivot in that leg. The vet,who charged us $350 told us that this will go away when her infection clears up. but we're worried. Please let us know what your opinion is.    THANK   YOU!!!
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
Well, it could be a few things....one is a pinched nerve that you might not be able to tell from an x-ray unless there was obvious narrowing of the spaces causing an impingement. Another thing is knee issues which sometimes are shown as general lameless. Thirdly, is neurologic issues and lastly is nerve damage which caused issues that brought on the bladder infection and lastly is possibly nothing more than a bad bladder infection that is causing weakness. If the symptoms continue after the infection has cleared up completely and you are still seeing problems then a second opinion from a neurologist may be a good idea.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I just wanted to give you an update on the status of my 31/2 year old mastiff. We finally got a answer to our medical questions. She had myasthenia gravis, she was in the hospital for 11 days, and got progressively worse. We had to have her put to sleep. Thank You for all of your help.

[email protected]
Expert:  K McMillion replied 11 years ago.

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your pet. I would like to share a poem that was given to me by a friend, that really helped me.

"I want you to know that I am at peace,
like the first time you held me and I fell asleep
So here is my wish for the human I love,
whenever you miss me, look to the heavens above.

When you see a star twinkle, I’m winking at you.

So you know I am near, no need to feel blue

Don't worry about me, I can feel no pain

No pills, no vets, I feel GOOD again

Our time together wasn't measured in hours or days,
it was measured in kindness and your loving ways,
So here I will be til we meet again,
At the rainbow bridge waiting, for my human friend.