NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

temper tantrums

Customer Question

My lab/doberman mix has recently been spayed. Since then, her "temper tantrums" have increased. When she is taken out of the crate, she quickly starts barking, biting, and jumping. We have taken her to puppy classes. They told us to ignore her and turn your back on her. We tried that and she bit our back or butt. We are ready to take her to a shelter today! My children are afraid of her when she takes these tantrums. Sometimes she run in a circle, jumping on the couch,then on the floor, back on the couch, etc. We do take her to the park for long walks and she is great! But I cannot keep a dog just because she is good at the park! These tantrums are so embarassing - they always happen at home. We have put her back in the crate or smack her nose - nothing helps. My husband's arms look terrible! Has the crate made her mean? More exercise? Please help!
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Oh you have a dog suffering from severe adolescence for sure!
The wild running around the house everyone has different names for but most adolescent dogs of any breed do that just to burn off the tons of energy they have!
Unfortunately hitting doesn't teach dogs much other than that your hands can hurt them. Crating for punishment doesn't work really well either (if it did she'd be better now right?)
There are things you can do to put her back in follower role instead of running the house (which she now thinks she can do). You can see if the nothing in life is free program will help you put her back in the correct pack position. Its not violent its just a change in rules. YOu can read about this method here
www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.htm
The biting is a serious issue that should have been stopped earlier but still can be resolved. I suggest rather than general classes you see if you can find a trainer at www.apdt.com who will work in your home for a few lessons to help you understand how to cope with her behaviors in a way that will work for all of you.
Read the nothing in life is free info and start it with her. Make sure your whole family knows how to do it and no one breaks the new rules when working with her.
If you work with her you should end up with a great dog. If you were in NH I'd offer to come and see what I could do for you for a reasonable fee!
Hope this helps you and good luck- its really just a bad case of teenage dog you are dealing with - she's not evil just at that age!