Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.
146273

puppies: lays down..wet..her its not pee we dont think but its liquid

Customer Question

i have a female pit and she has had puppies a year ago and has been fixed. When she lays down sometimes she has a wet spot under her its not pee we dont think but its liquid
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
There could be many things causing this
Stump pyometra is caused when a small amount of tissue is left inside after surgery. It can be treated with antibiotics.

Also here is some information on anal sacs or glands Anal sacs (also called "anal glands") are two small glands just inside your pet's anus. The material secreted into these glands is thick and foul smelling. Most animals can empty these glands voluntarily for scent marking or in self defense (like a skunk might do).

Domestic animals have largely lost their ability to empty these sacs voluntarily. Walking around and normal defecation serves to empty the glands but some animals become unable to empty their glands on their own at all. The sacs become impacted and uncomfortable. Dogs with impacted anal sacs usually scoot their rear on the ground in an attempt to empty the glands. Some dogs will lick their anal area and other dogs will chase their tails. Cats often lick the fur off just under their tails.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Also It could be a UTI or a bladder infection .If you notice any other signs such as vomiting,diahreah,increased or decreased urination,fever,lethargy Please see your vet!Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: there is no diareah or anything no vomitting just a wet spot under her that can be farely large
Expert:  Rebekah Haferbecker replied 11 years ago.
What color is the liquid? Is there a smell to it?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: the liquid is clear or maybe yellowish and theres a gross smell sometimes but sometimes it does smell like pee

Then you should also consider the possibility of a Urinary tract Infection. These can cause involuntary leaking of urine from your dog. Here is some more info on causes of incontinence in dogs:

http://www.drcarolspets.com/p/96,209.html

Getting your vet's opinion on this will be the best way of truly diagnosing the problem. It may be a combination of things which is why there is inconsistensy in the smell and look of the discharge.

Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience: Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.
If it is urinary incontinence your vet could prescribe hormones it is quite common for dogs to have leaks and usually hormones clear it up. Also If it is smelly more than likely it is the anal glands dogs will sometimes mark thier territory like that pretty gross But nothing a vet visit cant clear up! Hope I could help!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: The region under her tail is red. Not red as in blood red as in ittitated and anal area looks swollen and she keeps licking it. She was fixed back in april. And has received a hormone shot for urinary incontinence