NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

cocker: my 10 year..10 year old..has a huge tumor..swelling

Customer Question

my 10 year old cocker has a huge tumor. It started with one of his teets swelling up.. just noticed to it is draining and he won't let me mess with it... it appears to be painful.. is it something I should worry about??
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes this is something your vet should evaluate. You may need antibiotics or you may need surgical treatment.
Best bet is to see the vet.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Well I had a dobie that kinda had this same problem... had the tumor removed and it came back.. guess it was malignate... he suffered and I had to put him down... thinking this might be that way since it really is huge now... don't have the money for surgery.. what should I do??
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If the dog is in pain I don't think its fair to keep him in that condition.
You can see what the vet says - there are pain meds that might keep him comfortable for a while or you can consider euthanasia if surgery isn't an option.
My personal preference is to not make my pets suffer and if I can't afford treatment next best to my mind would be to end the suffering.
There are finance possibilities for treatments if you opt for them www.carecredit.com does medical and veterinary care loans if that would be of help.