NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

eye problems

i have a pug, and i believe he's scratched his eye - he's done it before - he's keeping it closed and it's watering.. is there any home remedy's I can use, or something over the counter - unfortunately I can't afford the 150$ vet fee it would cost me to take him in.
You can clean the eye off with saline solution such as the contact lens wearers use.
Problem with eye meds is the ones for infections and the ones for ulcerations are different and if you use one on the wrong situation you can really injure the eye by doing so.
The good meds are really prescription too. You don't want to fool with an eye as you could end up with even more costly surgery and losing the eye if it lingers too long.
Why not try calling the vet and stating you have a repeat of the previous eye ulcer situation and seeing if they will just get you the medication put up instead of doing a whole vet visit?
If you really can not do the vet or they won't do the meds for you without a visit then you can try Boric acid mixed up as a sterile eye wash to see if that helps him.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you.