NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

pees on herself

Customer Question

My dog, "fox terrior" pee's on herself in her sleep, is there something wrong?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
There may be something wrong so its worth checking her out with your vet to make sure there is no infection, no spay incontinence issues, and no arthritis in the spine area that is causing this. All these can be helped in most cases if they are the problem.
You can try using the people type of incontinence bed pads on her sleeping area.
You can also use the 'panties' for dogs in season on her and put an incontinance stick on pad on it (Poise is one brand of those) to catch any urine she loses.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Cedar, "my fox terrier" is 11 years old, along with peeing on herself she also shakes. her front legs when she sits. She's had surgery on her back legs 5 years ago, pain and couldn't walk, they cut the ball off from the socket in the hip on both legs. The cause were spurs on the ball. is this something that might be related to her peeing in her sleep? Also along with every thing else she has this etching that happens only during the summer for the past 7 years, my vet gives her a cortisone shot. (I hate it) I had an allergy test done and it said she was allergic to dust mites. I love her and would spend every last cent I have to make her comfortable. any ideals?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes this could be due to arthritis in the spine area from the change in her motion pattern due to the hip surgery or from an inherited propensity towards arthritis. Sometimes arthritis meds can help if that is the case.
Seasonal allergies can be treated with antihistamines rather than steroids. They can make your dog sleepy in some cases and urinate more in others or just work fine to solve the 'itchies' but best bet for a dosage amount that is right for your dog would be to ask the vet about it.
The shaking could be from spinal pain too - an x-ray of the spine and hips area might tell you a lot and some one of the new good pain meds if she is in otherwise good shape (such as metacam) might make her feel lots better.
She might also feel better if its arthritis if she is on glucosamine chondroitin - same stuff that people take to make their joints work better. Dog versions include Glycoflex and Cosequin among others.
At her age a geriatric blood work up to make sure all her organs are working properly might be a good idea too. If she is having kidney issues for example then being treated for that might solve a lot of things you are seeing.