NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

paw irritation

Customer Question

my dog has dark brown stuff on the skin inside her back paw
and she chews at it. what could it be?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Does it seem like something on the pad or a part of her foot?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: she has web feet and when i spread the paw open, the dark
brown gunk is on the skin, not the pad. i've tried washing it
(almost scraping-but it hurts her and she jerks away) and
rubbed antibiotic cream and aloe vera, but it won't come off or
go away.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If it seems like it might be tar or pine sap on her pads then try using vegetable oil to dissolve it, you can also use mineral oil, mayonnaise, peanutbutter to do it too. This gets messy and you want to try to keep the dog from eating it! Once the stuff is dissolved then you can wash the foot off with a dog shampoo and water and the stuff should be all gone - if not you can repeat oiling the spot.
If it seems like it is her skin and not something on her skin then it might be a fungal or bacterial infection and for that you'd need a vet visit to get the right diagnosis and treatment.
But if you have any pine trees or other resin producing trees in the area or any fresh tar I'd be suspicious that that is what is on her. Those type of things that are not soluable in water or soap often can be dissolved with oils such as in the products I mentioned and then washed off.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: it is all inside the paw and does not look like tar, sap, i don't
know. i will try the oil tonight and see if it works. if not, sounds
like i should just take her to vet for medicine for fungus or
something. thank you.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If its not something applied to the foot by her stepping in it then a vet visit really would be best as the black/brown stuff you are seeing could be damaged skin from infection of some sort.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you find my answer helpful you can accept it - and you are very welcome!