Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

animal control

Customer Question

you were just hired in a no kill shelter that is infested with fleas and ticks. all of the dogs have upper respiratory infections. and 50% of the cats have positive feline leukemia. what do you do, keeping in mind that this is a no-kill shelter?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Changing your user ID will not change the fact that you have asked more than 6 questions, received answers to all of them and have not accepted but one.

If you need more information on these posts, please go back to them and let your specialists know. If not, we would appreciate it if you would accept some of these answers before you ask for more.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Since you have accepted an answer on this page, I am going to go ahead and respond to this question. After you have accepted some of the ones that you have already asked, I will respond to more.

No kills means that all adoptable pets be given a chance to find a home. It does not mean that you will house sick or unadoptable animals for a lifetime. It doesn't even mean that you should house agressive animals. Adoptable pets means pets that have a chance of finding a home.

You need to put safeguards in place to protect all of your animals and you need to provide quarantine for sick animals and keep them out of the general population. A sick room works well for this.

Fleas and ticks are unacceptable. You cannot adopt out a dog that is covered in fleas and ticks. Prevention is part of health care in a shelter environment and should be done right after a bath on intake if the dog is an owner surrender or after the hold period is over for a stray.

Upper respiratory infections can be treated and you should do so, both in dogs and cats.

FIV + cats are not normally deemed adoptable, even in no kill shelters. If possible, you could find a humane group to help you place these pets.

I hope that this helps you some. If not, please let me know. I would be happy to help more.